As a photographer I’m always being asked what makes a great photo. The answer varies, depending if it’s a wedding, head shot, or an online dating profile pic. And since dating photos are my specialty, here are the top 6 tips for a better online dating photo.
1. Trust me as your photographer. We are our own worst critics but it’s my job as a photographer to capture the “best you” and represent it in photos — making you look good is my business. And it starts with trust on posing for the photos. Many clients will tell me they have a “better side” and feel uncomfortable when I ask them to pose in different “natural” styles because “selfie-mode” is always top of mind. This is not a selfie photo shoot and I will find a balance between natural, stylish & sexy. Trust me.
2. Natural lighting: The use of natural lighting boosts the skin and adds radiance to the photos. (indoor and outdoor shots with large amounts of natural lighting will be on the agenda)
3 What to wear: Clothing that will pop on the photo (primary colors..think Red, Greens, Blues) and metallics also work. Black is the “go-to” color of choice for many women but it’s a known fact (and several studies have proven this) color will attract new dates & mates.
4. Make-up & Hair: Let’s get to as close to your “date-look” as possible. No one likes the bait n’ switch. Your photos should represent you on that first date. And for those who don’t usually wear make-up, adding a little touch will improve the end results of the photos — going on a shoot with no make up will make you look monochromatic which translates into you looking “washed out.”
5. Jewelry: Jewelry is okay but again, let’s reflect your first-date look. A signature piece is great — but let’s never overdo it. And if you’re doing a shoot with me, not to worry ladies, I’m there to help with these decisions.
6. Have fun and don’t take yourself too seriously. On my shoots, after the first few test shots, things get a little more relaxed and the focus shifts from “Oh my, am I really doing this?” to “Oh, this is starting to feel good!” And that’s when you know you’re going to have excellent results. My job is to bring out “your” personality because in an online dating pic — you only have one shot to stand out from the crowd.
Bonus Quote from the fabulous, Coco Chanel –“A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”